Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Organizing Rocks

Yes that is right!  Rocks can and need be organized.
I have been working on a project to share with you but it is taking longer than expected so I thought I would buy a little more time by sharing my favorite project of the summer.
We live on an old creek bed so if we do any digging or planting we run in to rocks.  Lots and lots of rocks.  Well we wanted a trampoline that was in the ground.  That meant lots of digging and lots of rocks.  I wish I had a picture of the big pile of rocks that we had so you could see what I mean.  Anyway to get to the point while we were watching HGTV they did a show with "Gabion Baskets".  These are wire baskets that you can put all kinds of things in but mostly people use them to organize their rocks.  They make tables, walls, benches, planter boxes and many other creative things.  I loved them and knew the "Gabion Baskets" were going to be the answer to my rock problem.


You can order these baskets online but we made our own with wire we bought at Home Depot.


The baskets can be made any size you want.


We plan on topping the baskets with cedar planks to make benches and side tables.


Don't you just love them?  Rocks no longer are the bain of my existence.  When I am back by my rock walls I feel as though I am in the canyons and I love it.  Who knew organizing rocks could be so rewarding and fun?

3 comments:

  1. Love your comments on gabion baskets - very interesting. Do you have tips on how to make these or can you provide a website where I can go to learn how to make these beautiful walls. Thank you for your great blog... love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On you tube there is a site called Gabion pot and sculptures http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egRHCmN_tZA. You can also google Gabion baskets and look at the images for some great ideas. By watching these sites we learned how to make them
      Good luck organizing your rocks.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete