Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Battle of The Spice Cabinet Begins

Organizing my spice cabinet has been a big weight on my mind.  It really needs to be done and I really want it to be done.  Now how to do it.
I have read books, looked at other's blogs and asked other people how they solve this problem.  And there are tons of great ideas out there.
Just look at my mother's spice drawer (she really loves to cook and explore new recipes and she uses them all)


Just guess how many spices there are.  No cheating.  Well if you guessed 120 you would be pretty close.  What I like about her drawer is that she didn't need special bottles or gadgets.  All she needed was yellow dot stickers that fit on the lids where she wrote the name of the spice and she can easily find what ever she needs.  

I have decided to break what seems like an unobtainable goal into smaller bite size pieces.


The first bite that I am going to swallow is the spice cabinet overflow.  See my cabinet is so full that I often leave the items that I use the most in cooking on the counter so my door will shut easier.  The only problem with leaving them on the counter I find when I leave something out it is so easy to leave something else out as well and it seems to multiply.  It also make cleaning that much harder.


 I figure that five little items should be conquerable.  So I went to IKEA and purchased a small towel rack and a hanging basket and hooks.  I thought I could also help out my cooking tool drawer a little by hanging up some of the bigger utensils.

 If you are thinking that I should have shown you step by step how I put this up you are right but I was so excited about it and it went up so quick that before I knew it, it was done.


It hangs just above my stove so I have easy access.  It really has been nice to not have to open the cabinet door every few minutes while I am cooking.



Voila! 

My project is complete!  With that bite down I am ready to go to the next one.

Here are some of the comments I got from this project.

"Mom, no way that is so cool"
"I love it, it looks great"
"You went to IKEA without visiting me"
And the best is from my husband.  
"I thought you didn't like to hang things on the wall"  
(You can't please everyone)

Just watch out spices you are next!  (when I say next I don't mean tomorrow I mean sometime soon)
Happy Organizing

1 comment: