Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Junk Drawer

    Every house has a junk drawer or closet or maybe even a room.  I know growing up I loved our "Junk Drawer"  it held all kinds of wonderful things.  If I ever needed a little part to something or a safety pin or a screw to fix something, it seemed to magically be in the "Junk Drawer".  Because of this great drawer growing up I have incorporated junk drawers in my house religiously.  In the house we are living in now my main "Junk Drawer" is located in the kitchen.  I clean it out regularly and put away various items that have found their home there since the last clean up session.  But now it is time to change the drawer from a "Junk Drawer" to an organized drawer with it's own specific purpose.

So here is a picture of the drawer before I start to work on it.

     My first step was to take everything out of the drawer and to organize it in piles of similar items.  It reminded me of when my kids would come home from halloween trick or treating and would dump their pillowcase of candy out on the floor or table and organize it to see all the treasures they got.

      Do you see the resemblence?
I took a lot of shots up close so you could see the wide variety of items I have collected.  I thought I could keep the kids entertained for hours with a few pictures by playing "I spy".    








      Can you find the candy, thread, marbles, screws, ear-rings, hair elastics, legos, tacks, ipod?  The list goes on and on.

      Finally I put in the drawer the things I really wanted the drawer to be used for.  I did leave one section to still collect a few misc. items that I find while cleaning the kitchen.  I will then have to clean out the one section on a weekly basis and help those items find their true home.


     So do you have a "Junk Drawer"?  Do you want it to stay that way or do you want to re-purpose it?

No comments:

Post a Comment